The Water and Sanitation Sector has developed an interim strategy designed to ensure that water is used for the benefit of all. The strategy deals with (a) urban water supply, (b) rural water supply, (c) sanitation services and (d) institutional and capacity development. For more read here
Institutional Framework for Water Sector
The water sector in Lesotho is organised hierarchically, with various institutions and bodies responsible for different aspects of water resource management.
The Ministry of Natural Resources, through the Department of Water, is the apex body responsible for managing the water sector in Lesotho.
- The Water Commission is responsible for developing, updating and monitoring the implementation of water policy, water and sanitation legislation and strategy, preparation and coordination of all water sector management activities, including international waters.
- The mandate of the Department of Water Affairs (DWA) is to manage the quantity and quality of the surface and subsurface water resources of Lesotho for the socio-economic development of Basotho. The Department conserves and rehabilitates wetlands, assesses and develops water resources, and manages water use.
- The Department of Rural Water Supply (DRWS) is responsible for developing water supply and sanitation infrastructure and service delivery in rural areas. This is done through community-managed water schemes and support for on-site sanitation.
- The Water and Sewerage Company (WASCO) is licensed by the LEWA to produce, transmit, distribute and supply potable water to premises in urban areas. It is also licensed to treat sewage and dispose of it safely into the environment through sewerage systems in urban areas.
- The Lesotho Highlands Water Commission (LHWC) is responsible for implementing the Lesotho Highlands Water Project (LHWP). The LHWC also monitors the activities of the Lesotho Highlands Development Authority (LHDA) and Trans-Caledon Tunnel Authority (TCTA) against milestones, and performance indicators agreed with the relevant boards.
For anything electricity, urban water,
and sewerage services, We are available.